Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: For Telecine Transfer what camera do you use?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Konton's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2000
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For Telecine Transfer what camera do you use?

    Hey all. I'm going to assume at this point that many people posting here are trying to have a home built telecine transfer system. Maybe you are using a Goko TC-20, Cine-Mate, Work Printer, Elmo TRV-S8, Or even a 5-bladed projector. What camera do you use to transfer with? Did you pay more for the camera than the transfer system?

    I was into the idea of using old tube cameras or 3CCD cameras for a while. I had a Sony DXC-M3 and a Sony EVW-300 (borrowed from www.filmarts.org who took it back and now use it on their own 16mm transfer system). But the problem with both is you only have an s-video hookup (although even then the EVW-300 gave a damn good picture). I'd rather have a better connection to my computer. To me this means firewire. How about you?

    Anyway after giving up on camcorders and still cameras and just about everything else, I came across a color progressive scan firewire camera with a built-in 12x zoom lens, white balance, external trigger control for frame rates of 3.75, 7.5, 15.0, 30 fps and one shot, as well as a bunch of other cool stuff. Take a look at it here:

    http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professiona...Print?id=17519

    I managed to just get this little baby off Ebay for around $250! I can't believe it's progressive scan. I keep seeing website about the DFW-VL500 and it's many uses. Actually, I don't understand most of them. But here's some info on the CCD chip, a spec sheet, and a user guide:

    http://www.1394imaging.com/products/...d/icx084ak.pdf
    http://www.1394imaging.com/products/...6820ae50c716c0
    http://www.1394imaging.com/products/...6820ae50c716c0

    I'm going to test this with my Goko TC-20. But if there was a way to make this work directly with a WorkPrinter or Cinemate, using faster speeds for transfer than 6fps utilizing the external trigger, I'd love to hear it!

  2. #2
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    I bought a Cinemate 20 back in June. At the time, I had two analog VHS camcorders, one an all-automatic job, the other a VHS-C camera that allowed manual control of exposure and white balance. I decided that neither would really get the quality I was after so I purchased a Sonry DCR-TRV840 digital handycam. It's a pretty good camera. The only thing I really dislike about it is its lack of manual white balance. But other than that, it has served me well.

    The DCR-TRV840 ran about $1,000. I originally wanted to buy a 3-CCD mini-DV camera, such as a Canon GL-1 or the new model that Sony released a few months ago but decided they were too much horsepower for what I'm doing (short student films, my own home movies, part-time commercial telecine transfer of others' home movies) so I settled for what I have.

    The Cinemate cost me $735. I like it. Not a Workprinter, but the quality is still really, really good.

    Tom

  3. #3
    Inactive Member mcarter4121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2001
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My workprinter is a prototype variable speed version that I finally got to work at full speed. My camera is a $1000 after batteries Sony hi-8 camera that I purchased just to get started in video with something. It works great for transfers to VHS, down a grade from hi-8, so there is less generation loss, and I used it a lot for film transferrs with TC-20s.
    Quality looks better from the workprinter than anything I ever saw with other methods. SVCD disks look better than tape.
    Could mini DV actually be better? Well, I used to think my one tube vhs cam was better than the Hi-8, till I learned to use the Hi-8. DV will be better, too.
    I'll spring for a GL-1 in Pal later, a new computer, and a pal tv.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Jerome Cain's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2002
    Posts
    159
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    Must be a curve way to have film look. Sorry I do not buy any of it. I considered it a**hole way to do to have a fine look which impossible to have the equal as i can see the fine grain and knew it s transfer from video to film which wont be working honesty. Just do film direct unless you have 20,000 sony dv that convert to 35mm looks that star wars 2 used... Too bad! Jerome, deaf filmmaker

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Jerome Cain's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2002
    Posts
    159
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    I must misread,... 3ccd may be an answer which can do 24p for film to transfer to digital format. I would go for mutliplexer lens than homemade telecine. Bet it is fun but,... pardon my before statment. Jerome, misunderstood deaf and dumb filmmaker

  6. #6
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jerome Cain:
    I must misread,... 3ccd may be an answer which can do 24p for film to transfer to digital format. I would go for mutliplexer lens than homemade telecine. Bet it is fun but,... pardon my before statment. Jerome, misunderstood deaf and dumb filmmaker</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hi, Jerome.

    Okay, I am going to make this a tactful as I can, considering the situation. First, maybe it's just me but your comments on this thread (and some others) often make little sense relative to the topic at hand. Using 24P technology has nothing to do with the type of camera needed to do a telecine transfer from super 8. Beyond that, the WorkPrinter mentioned DOES use a multiplexor for direct view of the film during transfer. And finally, I see little need to restate your particular affliction over and over as part of your sign off. It relates to nothing regarding film making and does not provide you with an excuse to be abrasive nor tangent in your posts, which you often seem to be.

    Deaf and dumb you may very well be, but you can certainly read and write as well as anyone else here, so I'm sure you're aware of what you post. As such, please show a sense of respect for what others post. If you have something of substance to add, then let's have it. If you don't understand what's being discussed, then ask questions before commenting on other's efforts or ideas. Some time in the future, you'll want others to respond in kind regarding YOUR posts.

    Roger Evans
    Intolerant and overweight film maker

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Jerome Cain's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2002
    Posts
    159
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can second you on that. I got my film switch to video number of time with high quality but i still do not understand how it possible film go 18fps and video go on 30 hw can it track equal? JC

  8. #8
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jerome Cain:
    Must be a curve way to have film look. Sorry I do not buy any of it. I considered it a**hole way to do to have a fine look which impossible to have the equal as i can see the fine grain and knew it s transfer from video to film which wont be working honesty.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Apparently you've never seen the WorkPrinter clips that Jukkasil, Andreas, and others have posted over the past year.

    Tom

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Jerome Cain's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2002
    Posts
    159
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh? I must missed it. Hoped one day I can get to see it and understand it. Thanks! Jerome

  10. #10
    Inactive Member jukkasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2001
    Posts
    103
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jerome Cain:
    Oh? I must missed it. Hoped one day I can get to see it and understand it. Thanks! Jerome</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hi Jerome!

    Just visit at my transfer 8mm site and try to load some of these mpg-files there (some of these ones are very big). You can find them from examples page. Try to download for example lapset.mpg and standard8k25example.mpg, they are the smallest files, I think.

    The link for my site is:

    http://www.sorb-i-tol.com/transfer8mm.html

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 12, 2002 10:50 AM: Message edited by: jukkasil ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •